It was really bad.
A good friend had called me up a while ago. He wanted to vent something. He needs to talk to me in the evening.
I thought my response to the call was extremely inappropriate. I answered in a matter-of-fact way and set up a time and place to meet. But I did not know how to react on the phone.
I felt like an insensitive brute, who is setting up another business appointment. The feeling that I must have conveyed to him was probably something like I do not really care, but since he wants me to come,I am going etc..
And this was not what I meant to say. I am always happy to lend an ear to his problems, and I am extremely emotionally attached to this friend (lets call him B).
But I somehow do not react properly to conversations in the proper way. I am much better in chat, when I can think over what I can say. Also, I feel like I have put my emotional self so far down into the depths of my heart, that it is often difficult for me to give an answer which are more than matter-of-fact responses. It is often a great danger to expose one's emotional self, for you get hurt too quickly. Especially, in the very crass society of Indian Engineering Colleges, one often learns to keep his emotional self, in a storage shelf, that can only be reached through effort.
After surviving such society, it is often difficult for oneself to bring oneself to terms with the "normal" society, and get into deep friendships and relationships.
Anyway,I am wasting too much time. I have a meeting with A tomorrow, and have not done anything. It is going to be tough today.
Let me go get some lunch, and get working. I am going to meet B in the evening. I think I will apologize for my awkward response. I hope he understands, and that he does not shut himself emotionally because of my cold response in the morning.
How do you say, "I don't know" in Discipline X
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment