Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Socializing at Conference

I am at a conference, like some top conference in my field. I am still not comfortable with a lot of stuff in the field. In terms of science, I feel like I will have to learn a lot before I can really go to most of these talks and understand stuff. I understand some of the stuff, but a lot of it still eludes me.

Anyway, what eludes me more is the socializing at conf. thing. Important people talking to each other etc. Advisors are supposed to introduce you to people, but A doesn't. And I don't know why. A knows almost everybody worth knowking here. But she has not introduced me to anybody, not even her own advisor. This is ridiculous! A is not really a bad advisor in many ways, but I found this totally totally rude. especially because this is not the rule. She is introducing my former lab mate to a lot of people. So, i was majorly pissed throughout the conference, trying to go about like some outsider standing in a corner.

Whatever, my talk went okay. Although I would have liked to go to a conference more directly related to my work. People here are sort of excited about the work but they don't understand the nitty gritties of the work. So, I did not get extremely relevant questions. rather it was more like "I saw X happening in the movie you showed" or "what happens if you do Y experiment"


No comments: