dont know. For one thing, I was taking a break,during the Christmas-New Year. and then, I had sort of stopped writing for no reason. or rather,I had (have) gone back to the old habit of social networking,which takes up my time in the office. I guess I will try to revert back on Monday. Today is a Saturday. I had planned to work, but somehow, it did not materialize. I can go to the office now. But I have certain other things to look into. I have to wash my clothes.
I am going through a tough time with my PhD. As I have already realized, the PhD was a wrong choice for me. I wanted to do theoretical work. I am more of a sit-with-paper-pen-do math kind of a guy, rather than a make-things-work kind of an engineering kid. Hence, doing hardcore experimental work was a bad choice. Above this, my experimental work, I believe, is tougher than the average PhD. At one point,I thought this was totally impossible. Now,I am getting certain insights, but I still think, there is a long way to go, before I can produce anything in terms of experimental results on this. My ideas are hitting a dead end, I am often hitting my head on the wall (not literally, at least not yet!) and nothing is coming out. Hence, the situation is quite difficult.
I would have shifted to a different PhD. I had tried doing it in my own Department. However, it did not work out. Also, with the economy in a recession, there is no point in applying again, and be left with no PhD.
Things are difficult. I am trying to manage things, but slowly they are getting out of hand. I giess more than a researcher, I have to become a manager at this stage, trying to find out what is the shrotest and most efficient path to a PhD,rather than the ost innovative one. I would probably get a chance to do my more innovative work after my PhD, not during it. I should be going off to wash my clothes, and carry on the normal columns from Monday.
Meanwhile, it is horribly cold outside, and the heating in the room is not sufficient. The travails of a graduate student :(
How do you say, "I don't know" in Discipline X
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment