Thursday, December 13, 2012

BDSM(femdom) and slipping down the ladder

In the society where I come from, marriage is held as a sacred institution, one that none should dare to surpass. As the clock ticks away, the pressure to get married only grows. Not only are one's parents worried about it, but it seems one's relatives are more worried about "getting you married" or finding the right girl for you.

It is also a benchmark by which the society measures you, a subtle yet ever present measure of your worth to society. In a primitive evolutionary sense, that is how it should be. I am quite surprised, that such primitive measures of heteronormative worthiness, has survived in the world of the educated, and the liberal. What such presumptions of "worthiness", or "societal concern" or "societal peer pressure" does not take into account, is a man's right to have different sexual (or other) preferences.

As someone who is sexually submissive and into BDSM (femdom in particular), I do not fulfill my designated manly-man role in society. Not only that, my preferences for women, dominant and assertive, again do not fit societal expectations. Standing at that point, as I am, I realize slowly the shrinking of the horizons. There is little wiggling room, and there is little I can do about it, other than being a lonely outcast.

From my vantage point, I strongly sympathize with the fight, that people who have been discriminated against, on some basis or the other, have to fight, day in and day out. LGBTs have had to fight it for so long. They still have to fight s hard battle, if they are not fortunate enough to get into a liberal enough society. For instance, imagine a gay guy from small town india!

Yet, while the LGBT movement, and before that, the women's movement, have gained a political pedestal, and their discriminations have been so widely written about, I feel like an outcast even in the world of the politically marginalized. I'm straight, and I have certain sexual preferences (namely submitting to a woman in a bedroom). Perhaps such preferences are not shared by a large section of people (as large as, say the gay community). In the olden days, such "irregularities" were treated as "paraphilia". I am not sure how politically correct the medical community on this topic now. However, in the face of such ignorance, and discrimination, not only do I find it hard to come out, but also fight the labels that "singlehood" brings in a conservative society such as ours.

No comments: